Welcome to Sharon's Blog!

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Cordoba

So after Seville I got in my little bruum bruum and motored over to Cordoba! (I´m in love with my hire car... a Kia Picant that takes 27 euros to fill it up and it goes for ages!!) First stop was of course something old and ruined.... the Medina Azahara...















This was where a Muslim caliph built the capital of his new empire with the Muslims conquered spain. Only one tenth of the city has been excavated, and only a quarter of that is open to visitors!!
I really liked Cordoba, even more than Seville I think!! Its got an amazing blend of Islamic buildings that have been incorporated into later European ones, even more so than Seville. The cathedral was absolutely stunning......













Just wandering around the streets getting lost is great fun... you stumble across so much, like this old gateway to the city...













The Roman bridge was beautiful as well...... I found it on my first day in Cordoba, just as the sun was going down......

Well, its Adios to Cordoba now, as I head towards the coast to find some beaches to chill out on.....